Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thursdays With Tagore - March 18


Every Thursday, I shall read one of Tagore's poems as translated in this book or some other poem I can find. I shall post some lines from the poem and perhaps a detail of how I liked this poem or not. Any others who want to join in this meme are absolutely welcome to do so! 

This is an extract from a lovely poem called Sunday:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and others -
       grim-faced old stewpots!
They don't like little boys. With us
      they are always cross!
But as I get up in the morning
      at the end of  Saturday night,
who should I spy but Sunday,
      her face lit up by a smile!
How she cries when she says goodbye
      and gazes with yearning at us!
   Like you, Mum, she must be
   the daughter of a poor family.

It's amazingly simple and beautiful and dwells on the familiar feeling that Sunday runs away fast before we  realize it while the rest of the days crawl. Tagore has an interesting explanation for it, that of Sunday being the daughter of a poor family who delays reaching her destination probably because her house is farthest from the others and leaves fast because she has more chores than the others. 

I enjoyed reading it and will be sure to remember it every time I yearn for the weekend! :)

5 comments:

Veens said...

Niceeee.. That's an interesting explanation definitely!

I like!

Vaishnavi said...

That's a beautiful poem :)Sundays do run away in the blink of an eye...that is one reason why I like Saturdays more because they always seem longer to me and also because on a Saturday, there is still Sunday :)

Anu said...

Am happy that to dropped in at my blog and I could discover a bibliophile like you...

I also love the idea of reading a poem every week, I am going to try and follow it for the pile of poetry books that I have.

Thanks

Priya Iyer said...

lovely poem! such a cute explanation for sundays running away... :)

loved it!! :)

Kals said...

Veens, Priya, Vaishnavi - Glad you liked this week's poem. I love the fact that Tagore can be so simple yet evocative :)

Anuradha Goyal - Thanks so much for dropping by my blog :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test